Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/livingsimpl

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Total Money Makeover [Week Two]

  Week two is upon us and after depositing our set amount into each of our accounts (checking, savings, and emergency fund) it is nice to see the balances go up instead of down!

  The one thing I will say is this: Don't forget to budget for the little things. It is frustrating when the little things in life come up and you have to adjust the budget you've worked so hard on. This past week gas prices rose slightly and we were forced to pull a little more money out of the bank to make up for the difference. Now we are budgeting our gas allowance a little higher so if that happens again it won't be such a bummer.

  It is definitely motivating to see our bank account balance grow and our debt decrease, however! It keeps us motivated to keep up the hard work. It is definitely hard to say no sometimes especially to things like out to dinner with family because everyone else is going and no one seems to quite understand what the big deal is. Going out to eat adds up though, and it's not something that is a priority for us. We can fill our bellies at home for a lot less, and most of the time the food is tastier! I've decided for the "out to eat" moments in life when we just can't do it, I'm going to offer the alternative of pooling all the money we would have spent at the restaurant and going to the grocery store instead. I will offer my services as the cook and welcome everyone to my home. I think not only would it save everyone money, but it would also be a healthier and more peaceful alternative.

  For those that aren't quite sure what I'm talking about, my husband and I have started the Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey as a way of transforming our financial lives and so far it's totally worth it!

2 comments:

  1. I've been doing some research of my own on how to pay off debt quickly, and Dave Ramsey's ideas are smart. Putting them into practice just takes determination and a true desire to reduce your debt. Glad it's going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alaina, good for you and your hubby! It's encouraging to see that Dave Ramsey's plan works to help pay off debt while saving money!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

What's Hot on Living Simplistically